Obi Urges Tinubu Govt to Act As Benue, Plateau, Niger Attacks Escalate

By Jelili Gbadamosi

Peter Obi, the Presidential candidate of the Nigeria Democratic Congress (NDC), has called on the Federal Government to take urgent measures to halt the rising attacks and abductions reported in parts of Benue, Plateau and Niger states.

Obi made the call in a statement on Sunday while reacting to recent incidents of violence that have reportedly claimed dozens of lives, displaced residents and destroyed houses and sources of livelihood across the three North-Central states.

He particularly expressed concern over the attack in Jwak Maitumbi, Mangu Local Government Area of Plateau State, where at least 23 people were officially reported killed, while local residents reportedly put the death toll above 30. More than 45 houses were also said to have been destroyed.

The former Anambra State governor also cited the recent violence in Borgu, Niger State, where reports indicated that more than 40 people were killed and over 100 others abducted, although the exact figures remained disputed.

Obi said the situation in Benue was equally alarming, with communities repeatedly facing attacks, kidnappings and destruction of homes and farms.

He argued that the incidents should not be viewed as isolated cases but as evidence of a broader national security crisis requiring a coordinated response from governments and security agencies.

According to him, improved intelligence gathering, faster security response and stronger protection for vulnerable communities are urgently needed to prevent further loss of lives.

Obi further called for intensified efforts to rescue abducted citizens and ensure that those responsible for the attacks are arrested and prosecuted.

“Nigeria is not officially at war, yet citizens are being attacked in their villages, abducted after prayers, driven from their homes and stripped of their farms,” he said.

He stressed that the protection of lives and property remained a fundamental responsibility of government, warning that the country could not afford to continue responding to attacks only after lives had been lost.

“We cannot keep counting bodies after every attack. We must prevent these attacks before they happen,” Obi said, adding that Nigeria must not become a killing field.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top